Friday, September 14, 2012

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

By Senator Rev. Rubén Díaz
32nd Senatorial District, Bronx County, New York


 Two Out of Three Is Not Bad

As you know, the results for Democratic Primary in the City of New York are in, and we all know who are the winners and losers.

It is important for you to know that I personally and directly got involved in three Democratic primaries that were held in Bronx County.

I supported and worked with attorney Luis Sepulveda in his Assembly race for the 87th Assembly District.  I was the first – and I believe the only elected official – who supported Mark Gjonaj against Assemblywoman Naomi Rivera for the race in the 80th Assembly District.  You should also, know that my support for Mark Gjonaj began way before any accusations came out against Assemblywoman Naomi Rivera’s possible misuse of taxpayer money.  I supported him because I believed in him when everyone else thought he had no chance.   I also supported Manny Tavarez, a virtual political unknown, who campaigned against Senator Gustavo Rivera in the 33rd Senatorial District.

In those primaries that I got involved in with my people and my ministers, Luis Sepulvda won 75.6 percent of the vote, while his opponent, Danny Figueroa got 24.4 percent of the vote.  Mark Gjonaj received 51.7 percent of the vote defeating Naomi Rivera and two other contestants.   Manny Tavarez lost his race against Gustavo Rivera, receiving 30 percent of the vote to Gustavo’s 70 percent.

It is not bad to win 2 out of 3.  However, I am not considering that Manny Tavarez lost, because what he did is what you can call the making of a new leader in a district that needs a diversity of philosophy.  I believe that if Manny Tavarez continues to build his name and reputation during the next year, he will be a strong and very formidable candidate for City Council or any of  the upcoming races for office during the next year or two.

So ladies and gentlemen, I thank all of you who joined me to support Luis Sepulveda and Mark Gjonaj so they could each achieve victory in New York’s 2012 Democratic Primary.  I also thank everyone who helped Manny Tavarez to get 30 percent of the vote.

I want you to always remember that all things are possible, if we put our minds to it.  We have proven something with these Primary results by showing that the will of the people will not be ignored, and with this energy, we will continue to build and grow.

I am state Senator Reverend Rubén Díaz and this is what you should know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came across this site and started reading it, but then I realized a funny thing: NOBODY EVER POSTS COMMENTS.

Is anybody out there? Does anybody read this? Am I all alone?

100PercentBronx said...

There are comments here like yours but unlike others I do not allow malicious, false, and comments that make no sense at all.
I also do not make up any comments as others do just to make it look like there are a lot of comments.
I hope you will comment again. and please let everyone know who you are in the future.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, who else is reading this stuff?

Post a Comment