Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW


By Senator Rev. Rubén Díaz
32nd Senatorial District, Bronx County, New York 


I TOLD YOU SO

   As you know, the latest hot potato in our political world here in Albany is the leap of faith just taken by Democratic Senator Tony Avella from Queens, New York to abandon the every-day weakening Democratic Conference and jump to the Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) led by Senator Jeffrey Klein from the Bronx.

You should know that with this jump, I am pretty sure that Senator Avella will be getting some benefits and privileges, e.g., office, staff, and a committee chairmanship, most likely the Aging Committee, which is currently vacant.

Senator Avella’s jump opens a “Pandora’s Box,” and now the door has been opened wide for more of us to follow his lead, although a while back I remember a statement made by Senator Diane Savino, a member of the IDC, that said “Everyone is welcome, except Rubén Díaz,” and because of that, I am afraid that in the end, I will be the last one left behind, unless Senator Savino changes her mind.

The cost of the IDC’s increase in power and influence of its leader Senator Jeffrey Klein has been the arrogance, apathy and pride of some members in our Democratic Conference.

For a long time I have been calling for their return and asking my colleagues to talk to Jeff Klein and the member of the IDC and to “make them an offer that they cannot refuse,” and bring them back so that we Democrats could be in the Majority again. The response from my Democratic colleagues, lamentably, has been that “we would rather always be in the minority.” To them I now say be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

As you know the IDC used to be composed of five members: Senator Jeff Klein, Senator Diane Savino, Senator David Valesky, Senator David Carlucci and the only minority in the group, Senator Malcolm Smith. We all know that Senator Smith got booted out, leaving the IDC with only white members. Now ladies and gentleman, my advice, my two cents worth, to Jeff Klein and the IDC is to work on one minority because you need a little diversity in your conference.

And to my colleagues in the Democratic Conference, I say that now we can really kiss the majority good-bye and as some of you have wished, we’re going to be in the minority for a long time. I told you so.

This is Senator Rev Rubén Díaz, and this is what you should know.

Editors Note:

We now know what is taking Senator Diaz so long to join the IDC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment