Monday, September 22, 2014

Yes, I Am One of New York’s Most Effective and Proficient Legislators


What You Should Know
By Senator Rev. Rubén Díaz
32nd Senatorial District 


You should know that through the years, I have received a lot of media attention for standing strong for my Christian beliefs – especially for my opposition to gay marriage and abortion – but the story about my record as one of New York’s most effective and proficient Democratic legislators is routinely ignored.
You should know that since I was elected to the New York State Senate in 2002, there are many, many pieces of legislation that I have sponsored.  I have worked hard with my colleagues to get my bills out of their respective committees and out to the Senate Floor for a vote.  I have to say that the walls in my Albany Office are so crowded with my bills that have been signed into law, that I might need more wall space in 2015! See the attached photo which includes my sixteen bills and other bills which I have been prime co-sponsor.
My most recent bill, S.6732-A was signed into law on August 6, 2014. This bill, sponsored in the Assembly by Assemblyman Marcos Crespo, will protect New Yorkers from immigration assistance fraud.  This was one of many victories for the Diaz Team.
You should know that when your political party is in the minority and it does not control the Senate, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to pass any legislation. In my twelve years as a New York State Senator, being in the minority and with all my beliefs and traditional philosophies, I have introduced many pieces of legislation and sixteen, I repeat, sixteen of my bills have been signed into law, making me one of the most, if not THE most, effective Democratic Senator in the New York State Senate.

In 2005, I introduced bill number S.2234-A, which was signed into law and became Chapter 526.  This law increases state penalties for dog attacks causing serious physical injury; increases the amount fines from eight hundred dollars to fifteen hundred dollars and from one thousand to three thousand dollars respectively; permits restitution payments to offset state and NYC fines; and, permits the imposition of dog restrictions on parolees. 

In 2007, I introduced bill number S.3167, which was signed into law and became Chapter 48.  This law relates to providing companion pets for seniors and instruction in the humane treatment of animals; provides for the office for the aging to operate programs to match seniors with companion pets to improve the lives of such seniors, and for the office for the aging to work with other entities to provide such programs. 

In 2008, I introduced bill number S.7014, which was signed into law and became Chapter 501. This law authorizes certain housing preferences for police force members in cities with a population of one hundred thousand or more. 

In 2009 two of my bills became law. They are S.3163 which became Chapter 107 and provides that the city of New York may re-convey certain property taken in tax foreclosure in the borough of the Bronx to the original owner, and bill number S.6091 which became Chapter 482 and provides that a person is guilty of aggravated murder when such person causes the death of a child and acted in an especially cruel and wanton manner. 

In 2010, three of my bills became law. They are S. 5456 which became Chapter 49 and requires third-party notification prior to termination of long-term care and health insurance for persons 65 and older; bill number S.7647 which became Chapter 348 and relates to eligibility under the naturally occurring retirement community supportive service program; provides that an individual over the age of sixty need not be the head of the household to qualify under the program; and bill number S.7512-A which became Chapter 410 and allows consideration of in-kind support when determining grantees of the naturally occurring retirement communities supportive service program. 

In 2011, five of my bills became law. They are bill number S.1313-B which became Chapter 191 and establishes the offense of prostitution in a school zone and promoting prostitution in a school zone; bill number S.1753 which became Chapter 263 and requires the state office for the aging to review programs addressing the needs of the aging veteran population; bill number S.331-A which became Chapter 270 and includes assisted living residences within the definition of long term care facilities for certain purposes; requires assisted living residences to permit access to such facilities by the long term care ombudsman; bill number S.5375 which became Chapter 320 and relates to matching funds for grants under the naturally occurring retirement community supportive service program; and, bill number S.333 which became Chapter 452 and authorizes the city of New York to re-convey its interest in certain real property acquired by in rem tax foreclosure in the borough of Bronx to former owner St. Peter's Lutheran Church. 

In 2012, the two of my bills became law. They are bill number S. 502-A which became Chapter 111 and relates to the senior citizen energy packaging pilot program and bill number S.6237 which became Chapter 201 and relates to the collection of supervision fees from persons on community supervision and provides that the department of corrections may promulgate rules and regulations to establish alternative methods for payment of supervision fees. 

So far in 2014, and the year is not over yet, one of  my bills has become law. Bill number S.6732-A became Chapter 206 and relates to implementing the immigrant assistance service enforcement act. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I am grateful to my constituents who continue to place their trust in me to serve them and to represent them.  And even though my accomplishments in the Senate may not receive the same attention that my defense for traditional marriage and the protection of human life receive, I am very proud to be one of New York State’s most effective and proficient legislators. 

You should know that being able to have sixteen pieces of legislation become law in twelve years is not such a bad record for this black Puerto Rican, with kinky hair and broken English.

This is Senator Rev. Rubén Díaz, and in my humble opinion, this is what you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment