Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gov. Cuomo’s Call for $15 Minimum Wage - Statements from Bronx Elected Officials



STATEMENT FROM BOROUGH PRESIDENT DIAZ
RE: Gov. Cuomo’s Call for $15 Minimum Wage

“Governor Cuomo’s call for a statewide $15 minimum wage is a welcome one, and something I fully support. I have been a champion for higher wages throughout my career, having led the fight to pass the nation’s strongest living wage law, the ‘Fair Wages for New Yorkers Act,’ early in my time as borough president. Today’s announcement builds on those prior victories.

“A $15 minimum wage will help lift working New Yorkers and their families out of poverty and into the middle class, and I look forward to working with Governor Cuomo and my colleagues at every level of government to make this proposal a reality,” said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.

Assemblymember Pichardo: It’s time to raise the minimum wage for all workers

“The Governor’s announcement supporting an increase in the minimum wage to $15 an hour for all workers is a huge step in the right direction. While I supported the raise for fast-food workers, I have long advocated for an across-the-board increase that will significantly boost the paychecks of my neighbors and millions of New Yorkers.

            For far too long, workers who depend on the minimum wage have found it impossible to provide for their families. Setting the statewide standard at $15 an hour is the right thing to do because no one who works full time should have to live in poverty. I look forward to working with the Governor, the Speaker, and my colleagues to ensure that my neighbors and all New Yorkers can live and prosper in our state.”

No comments:

Post a Comment