Tuesday, August 23, 2016

R.A.I.N. Gun Hill Gets More Than $700Gs to Repair Building’s Structural Damage



  This past winter, seniors at the R.A.I.N. Apartments for the Elderly on White Plains Road, Bronx, held a town hall meeting where they voiced their complaints about the lack of heat in their apartments and major structural problems with the building, including a leaky roof.

Today, the seniors learned that their complaints were heard when NYC Council Member Andy King allocated $733,161.00 for repairs to the building.

The check was presented at a follow-up town hall meeting at the R.A.I.N. Senior Center, located in the R.A.I.N. apartment building at 3377 White Plains Road., Bronx. Making the presentation before the R.A.I.N. residents was Council Member King to Anderson Torres, Ph.D, president and chief executive officer of R.A.I.N. (Regional Aid for Interim Needs, Inc.) and Evelyn Cintron, program director.

“I heard your concerns and today we’re trying to fix those concerns,” Council Member King told the seniors. “We want to stop putting band-aids on the problem.”

Both Council Member King and Dr. Torres explained to the seniors that the repairs won’t take place immediately.

“In order for us to come up with this figure we had to engage in a bidding process with contractors,”  explained Dr. Torres. “Now that we have identified a company, the paperwork goes to the city for review. Once it’s been given the green light then we can start with the repairs.”

Built in 2006, more than 100 residents live at the R.A.I.N. Apartments for the Elderly on White Plains Road.


 NYC Council Member Andy King (center) presents a check for $733,161.00 to R.A.I.N.'s CEO Anderson Torres, Ph.D., (immediate right), staff and residents to be used to repair structural problems at the R.A.I.N. Apartments for the Elderly on White Plains Road, Bronx.

No comments:

Post a Comment